Gareth Southgate [1296x729]
Gareth Southgate [1296x729] (Credit: Jens Schlueter - UEFA/UEFA via Getty Images)

PCB proposes February 19 start for Champions Trophy 2025

Gareth Southgate has said he is likely to leave his position as England manager if his side fail to win Euro 2024.

His contract expires in December, although sources told ESPN that the Football Association would like him to continue in the role.

Southgate, 53, who took over in 2016, has overseen a dramatic change in fortunes, guiding England to the semifinals of the 2018 World Cup and losing the Euro 2020 final on penalties to Italy at Wembley.

England were knocked out of the 2022 World Cup at the quarterfinal stage by France in a game of fine margins. That overall tournament record, combined with the emergence of a crop of exciting younger players including Jude Bellingham, Cole Palmer, Anthony Gordon and Kobbie Mainoo, has raised expectations ahead of this year's Euros.

Southgate almost quit after the World Cup as he agonised over whether he was the best man to lead the team forward, and a decision will again be taken after the finals in Germany.

He told German newspaper Bild: "If we don't win [the Euros], I probably won't be here anymore. Then it might be the last chance.

"I think about half of the national coaches leave after a tournament -- that's the nature of international football. I've been here for almost eight years now and we've come close.

"So I know that you can't keep standing in front of the public and saying: 'Please do a little more,' because at some point people will lose faith in your message.

"If we want to be a big team and I want to be a top coach, then you have to deliver in the big moments."

Southgate told ESPN last month that the 2026 World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico would be an "amazing tournament" but insisted he was undecided on whether to carry on.

Asked whether signing a contract extension before the Euros was an option, Southgate referenced the backlash to Fabio Capello agreeing to stay on amid interest from Inter Milan prior to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, where England were thrashed 4-1 in the round of 16 by Germany.

"No, [it wasn't an option]," he said. "The reason is that there would have been more criticism, which would have put more pressure on the team. England did that once before with Fabio Capello and there was a big drama before the tournament. It's better to check yourself after the tournament."

England's Group C campaign begins against Serbia in Gelsenkirchen on Sunday. The team arrived at their team base in Blankenhain on Monday evening and will train for the first time on Tuesday afternoon in front of the public at Jena Stadium.